Tuesday 20 May 2014

Well away from home...

After a severe bout of sciatica on Sunday, I decided to stay close to home and went for a short walk through Thorpe Meadows and along the bank of the River Nene. I wasn't really botanising, but this rather showy geranium caught my eye.


There's a great deal of Meadow Crane's-bill Geranium pratense along that stretch of the river, but this was clearly different and reminded me of Wood Crane's-bill G.sylvaticum, which is very much a northern species that I've seen in Scotland and Northumberland. This provisional identification was confirmed when I got home and consulted Stace. It's apparently the first record for V.C.32, and is well out of its native range, so presumably has arrived through human intervention, though it's in a semi-natural area well away from any dwellings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment